The church was not majorly altered until a partial rebuild took place in the late nineteenth century. This involved a new roof, stripping the walls of plaster and new fittings, such as pews. It is in this condition that the church exists today.
It appears from a late nineteenth-century article that the church’s condition had greatly deteriorated.
Within the article, the pews are described as
‘facing all points of the compass’
‘[that the] only tolerably decent seat in the church belonged to the vicar’.
When comparing this perspective to the information provided by Historic England, the partial rebuild of the church must have taken place shortly after this publication in 1878.
The restoration of St Senara’s Church during the Victorian period is described in an article printed in the Cornishman on 28 November 1889. The church itself is described as
‘a much dilapidated and nearly ruinous sanctuary’.
Works required, which included a new roof, were estimated to cost at least £1,300, which with inflation would amount to £164,095.45 today. The parish community came together to raise this sum through individual donations, including £250 each from the Reverend Borlase and a Mr Westlake Q.C. of Eagles Nest.
A summer bazaar was organised to raise the funds, with the sale of jewellery, flowers, dresses and vegetables, all donated by members of the community.
The restoration work was completed by December 1890, with the work by local church-builders Carah and Edwards being described as ‘most effectively carried out’.