The Cornish peninsula of the Roseland is home to St Just church, known to be one of the most beautiful churches in the country.
Research provided by Lucy Raymond, an undergraduate student at the University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, studying BA History.
‘The Roseland was almost an island when the rivers were in full flood some two thousand years ago, and ships would travel up the estuaries and rivers as far as Tregony.’
The location of this parish church has always been considered a holy site, intrinsically connected to its surrounding waters. For 400 years, the Celtic clergy used the original church as a religious venue. It operated with traders, sailors and the local fishermen to provide the local community with a dynamic and thriving economy.
When Augustine came to Britain, the Saxon Bishops of Cornwall overturned Celtic religious culture and in turn, the Bishop of Exeter gifted St Just’ Church to the Canons of Plympton Priory in 1140.
The present church was dedicated to St Just on 14 August 1261 by Walter, Bishop of Exeter.